Thursday, May 29, 2014

Edgar Wright is a frame master!


A user on Vimeo by the name of Tony Zhou has posted a video up explaining how Edgar Wright is very good at visual comedy and using the frame to its fullest.  The video is actually quite good and Mr. Zhou does a nice job in showing what many comedy films lack in the current landscape and how Edgar Wright's films compare.  I would have it right here in the post, but Blogger doesn't link to Vimeo too well.  So instead you can find the video here.

After viewing the video twice (I always watch something twice.) I do agree with much of what Mr. Zhou says.  I have always felt that Wright's films are visually interesting in the ways that he uses and plays in the frame.  I remember when I first saw Shaun of the Dead and I just thought it was such a unique take on the whole zombie genre.  But what I also was impressed with was the way it was shot.  It was different and played by different rules from the majority of films out at that time.

I tend to like filmmakers who offer something different and who are not afraid to try new things or venture into territory rarely explored.  I think that should be the objective of every filmmaker.  They should always be asking themselves how they can do something differently.  How can they make their film unique and stand out.

Of course often times a film stands out on the high level of its performances or the strength of its story and not necessarily anything visual.  That is certainly ok and I will always advocate for films with strong stories as I think they are rare in this franchise first atmosphere in Hollywood now.

Wright's films are unique and have strong characters, but what they have that makes them great is a very singular visual sense to them.  You can tell when you are watching an Edgar Wright film.  Just like you can tell you are watching a film by Steven Spielberg or Alfonso Cuaron.  Wright's films are just a blast to watch and really offer a nice counterpoint to the standard comedic fare we are fed by the studios each year.

I am still disappointed greatly that Wright will not be allowed to see Ant-Man through to the end.  I think Marvel has made a huge mistake here in allowing this all to happen and one they will probably live to regret. I think Wright would have made Ant-Man something different and something that would have his visual style and voice running through it.  As seen in Mr. Zhou's video, that would not be a bad thing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment