Monday, May 5, 2014

Welcome to Gotham!


Today an extended trailer was released for the new show Gotham.  For the uninitiated, Gotham is a prequel series that follows a young Detective James Gordon as he fights crime on the mean streets of the Gotham.  It also includes Bruce Wayne, the Penguin, Selina Kyle, and others as well.  All of them before they become the important characters we all know.

As you may know or may not know if you have not read many of posts prior to this, I am a pretty big Batman fan.  I love the character and the world he inhabits.  But even with that being the case, this trailer just kind of leaves me cold if I am being honest.  The show feels incredibly unnecessary.  Do we really need to see a young Oswald Cobblepot before he becomes the Penguin?  Or witness Selina Kyle and Bruce Wayne become friends as children?

I guess I just don't understand the appeal of a show like this.  I know many on Twitter and over the Internet are excited by this trailer and for the show.  I won't criticize their interest here as I can see for some fans how this may look exciting.  But for me it looks like a show that will be tied down creatively by its need to not mess too much with where these characters eventually end up.  How can you reasonably create great drama and storytelling when you know where the story ends already.  That is the problem inherent to this show as well as to any prequel.  That is also why I feel prequels are simply a bad idea.

The cast looks good here and I love seeing Harvey Bullock finally realized in the flesh on screen.  But even with that, I think I may tune in to the first few episodes to see what this show is.  But I doubt I will see it through after those first few.  It just looks like it will quickly become boring and stagnant due to the constraints put on it creatively by being a prequel.

Bring on a Batman series Fox and WB!  That is something I can get behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment