Thursday, May 15, 2014

It's the God Damn Batman!


I am late to this particular party and with good reason: I wasn't going to even report on this.  But then it was nagging at me that I am such a big Batman fan and yet I didn't want to talk about the reveal of the new Batsuit and Batmobile from Batman v. Superman that hit the internet like a bomb yesterday.  I was just going to let it pass and not really take space here on it.  Well we can see which side won this particular conflict. So here I am.

What can I add that has not already been done so elsewhere.  The suit looks fantastic, probably the best looking Batman costume so far.  I love the shorter ears, the large symbol on the chest, the clunky utility belt, the spikes on the gloves, and lastly the overall texture of the suit itself.  Given that the above photo is in black and white I can't be sure that the suit itself is gray, but I am sure hoping for it to be so.  I have grown kind of tired of the all black suits they have been using over the last 30 years for the character on film.  It would be nice to get a gray on black suit for once.

The only concern I see with the suit is that we may be getting, once again, a Batman who can't turn his head. It appears, to me at least, like the cowl, neck, and cape are all one piece. If this is indeed true then it is a
shame as I liked what Nolan did by having Batman turn his head to look at things.  Perhaps there is a break between the cowl and neckpiece that we simply can't see in this photograph and he can turn his head.  But based on what I see here it looks like he cannot.

The Batmobile looks good, based solely on what we see here.  It would appear they have gotten away from the tank look that Nolan used in his films and instead are going back to more of a hot rod appearance or perhaps a mix of the two.  Either way, the Batmobile looks fine to me.

I also really like how bulked up Batman is here.  He is more stout and muscular and it would appear there is some molded pieces underneath what appears to be a cloth costume.  It is clear Affleck bulked up considerably for the role.  I like it.

What else can be said here.  It looks great and makes me happy as a long time Batman fan.  Now the bigger questions come in as to the quality of the story we are getting?  Is this going to be more of a Justice League film and less of a sequel to MOS?  What sort of Batman are we getting here?

These are more long term questions and ones we won't get answers to until closer to the release date on this film.  I still can't believe we are two long years away from this film being released.  But perhaps the extra time will allow those involved to get things right here.  So far so good as far as this photo is concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment